A little history of the city
Inhabited since the Neolithic period, the city owes its name to the ancient Romans (Tridentum, which is "surrounded by three hills") that conquered it in the first century A. C. after bloody battles with the Rhaetian tribes.
After the fall of the Roman Empire in the West, Trento was governed by the Ostrogoths, the Byzantines, Lombards and Franks, until it became part of the Holy Roman Empire. It was then in the hands of numerous Prince-Bishops for the next eight centuries, during which time there was no lack of continual attempts of popular subversion of the established order, as in 1407, when a revolt headed by Rodolfo Belenzani attempted to regain the civic independence.
In the sixteenth century the city became famous, at the international level, for the Council of Trent (1545-1563), which gave birth to the Counter Reformation. It earned its noble renaissance appearance first under the government of Bernardo Clesio, and then from several members of the Madruzzo family. They had to also defend themselves from the attempts of Venetian expansionism, which they did with courage and success.
In 1796 Napoleon entered the city with his troops. In 1815 Trent became Austrian, following the Congress of Vienna. At the end of the nineteenth century, Trento and Trieste, still Austrian, became icons of the Italian Irredentist movement, thanks to heroes such as Cesare Battisti and Damiano Chiesa. In 1918 the Austrian domination came to an end and the city became part of the Kingdom of Italy. Soon after, following the deposition of Mussolini, German troops invaded northern Italy and Trento became part of the Third Reich, undergoing, as a result, the allied bombings, which damaged the church of Santa Maria Maggiore and several bridges over the Adige.
From the proclamation of the Republic (1946) onwards, the region has grown and prospered, also thanks to the conferment of special status from of the central government.